‘In Peace As in War, We Serve”
The American Legion Post 89 of Texas City was founded in 1939, however, as a result of the horrific explosions that shook Texas City and the surrounding areas, to it’s core., the building was totally wiped out. Shortly after the first explosion, Commander Dr. S. Wall set up headquarters in the City Hall, on 24-hour duty, attempting to relieve the burden thrust so unexpectedly upon the city officials.
From all over the state, Legionnaires appeared. Immediately after the blast, Commander E. H. Thornton, Jr., Maco Stewart Post No. 20, Galveston, recruited several hundred men for relief work. Posts from Houston, Lake Jackson, Port Arthur, Beaumont, Bay City, Seabrook, Alvin, Freeport and other cities were represented.
Department Commander Bertram Giesecke, accompanied by District Commander V. K. La Fargue, arrived, making arrangements for veterans’ relief. Checks poured in from all over the country. An office was opened in the First State Bank, and Mr. Mitchell, State Service Officer, and Mr. Ralph Holman were ready to assist veterans or families of veterans.
The Legion eventually moved to a building near 6th street, and the property was sold during the 1950’s, which is when the American Legion moved into the current building.